Sunday, May 17, 2009

The First Smile!




Click here to see Riley's photos from this week...

As Riley approached 5 weeks of age this week she hit a big milestone...at least big for her parents...she smiled! It wasn't just the smile she gives when she is nodding off to sleep or filling her diaper, but an actual smile with eye contact! As Ramsey and I sat on the couch with her on my knees looking at us, we were making faces and cooing and all of a sudden she grinned from ear to ear in slow motion. We both immediately started crying, and I was surprised at how emotional I was. I think the smile seemed like the first of many expressions of who she is as an individual, a reminder that she has her own personality that we are just getting to know. Needless to say, we are thrilled and are now constantly trying to get her to smile by doing any number of ridiculous things!!

Another big milestone this week was the fact that Riley took a bottle for the first time. I began pumping so that I could get a break and some extra sleep and so that Ramsey could enjoy feeding his little girl now and then. I was nervous about her taking a bottle the first time and I was shocked when she took it immediately with no argument! I'm excited not only that Ramsey can now see how special feeding time can be, but also that we can get away now and then for a night out and leave Little Miss with her grandparents and a bottle...I'm sure she'll have no problem getting us out of her hair for a bit!

Finally, this week was once again filled with Riley's introduction to many new friends, including some of the little babes from our birth class (we'll be getting together weekly, so I'll be posting plenty of photos of the little ones together). She particularly took to Fenn, the son of our good friends Noah and Chantal, and they actually can be seen holding hands in a photo from this week...obviously busom buddies from the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment